It's The Law - RSA 227-L:17(II)

Anyone who wishes to burn clean, ordinary combustibles such as brush or untreated lumber, or have a camp or cooking fire must have written permission from the landowner and a fire permit from the local forest fire warden or local fire department in the town or city where the fire will be kindled. You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.

What You Can Burn and When?

Only woody debris or brush less than 5 inches in diameter, or untreated wood and dimension lumber can be burned. For any open burning a written fire permit is required. Even with the permit, no open burning between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm unless it is raining. When the ground where you are burning is completely covered with snow no fire permit is required. However, be sure to check local ordinances that might restrict winter-time burning. Air quality regulations restrict the type of material burned in the open. Stumps, painted or treated lumber, tires, tubes, plastics, foam rubber and shingles are some of the prohibited materials.

More Information:

You can find more information regarding fire permits at the NH Division of Forest and Lands website: here.

(All information under this section is found in more detail on the NH Division of Forest and Lands website.)

Obtain Written Permit

A burn permit is needed to do any outside burning unless the ground is covered with snow. You can obtain a written permit at no cost from one of the following wardens:

Patrick "Woody" Bowne 774-1616

Bud Marcou 774-5508

Fred Mullen 774-3796

Brandon Skoglund 774-4552

John Swindlehurst, III 774-4577

Jon Wiggin 774-3590

Obtain Online Permit

The NH Division of Forests and Lands has an online permitting system which will allow you to obtain a permit online for a small fee. After completing the transaction you may print the the permit for your records.